Welcome to the Lebanon-Laclede County Library
The Library will be Closed on February 15, 2016
in observance of President's Day
Got books? Yes we do... and audiobooks, magazines, dvds, graphic novels, and many other enjoyable items to check out. Also at our location is the Rt. 66 Museum, Kinderhook Treasures Gift Shop, and the Laclede Literacy Council. Stop by today and see what we have to offer!
A little history on our Library
We started out as the Shakespeare Club in 1896 with 50 books. These books were kept in a cabinet in the home of Mrs. Mary Wallace for 2 years. After that, the cabinet was moved to various stores and was manned by volunteers. The collection moved in 1920 to the Laclede County Courthouse and there it remained until 1936. A Library tax was passed in 1938, and on June 6 of that year the Lebanon Public Library was opened with Mrs. Charlotte Bass as the Librarian. In 1951 the Lebanon Public Library opened it's doors to a newly constructed building at 135 Harwood. In 1961 the Lebanon Public Library and the Laclede County Library merged, creating a new City-County Library. Shortly after that a regional system was started, creating Kinderhook Regional Library. The Regional system continued for many years until 2000, when we became Lebanon-Laclede County Library. We remained at the Harwood location until 2004, when the collection was then moved to our present location.